It’s firmly Winter here!
Yes, we may not have inches of snow but it has turned cold for California! Cold nights, make way for sunny, frosty mornings with a chill in the air!
What better way to celebrate the season change than with a hearty dinner of Sausage, Butternut Squash & Leek Bake to warm you and your loved ones!
This Sausage, Butternut Squash & Leek Bake is the perfect winter dish. It is very simple to make, healthy and wonderfully delicious!
As you know I am a girl who likes simple recipe – preferably using only one pan! This uses a couple of pans but is VERY simple!
Captain America and I were delighted with this recipe creation – we came up with the idea from a little recipe booklet attached to the jar of sun-dried tomatoes – usually I don’t give those recipe books a second glance but Captain America found a recipe that peaked his interest and I set to adapting it (obviously!) into this Sausage, Butternut Squash & Leek Bake.
We are both huge fans of squash – so any excuse to use it we are right there! The addition of sausage meat makes the dish a little more substantial, and more like a main dish. The sundried tomatoes and leeks cut the sweetness of the butternut squash to create a perfectly well-rounded meal.
It keeps well in the refrigerator too – and makes excellent leftovers in the days following!
- Peel and dice the butternut squash, removing all seeds. Place in a pot of water and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and drain the excess water. Allow to cool.
- In a separate pan cook the sausage meat until it begins to brown
- Add the leeks and mushrooms and cook until they are soft.
- Add the cooled butternut squash to a large mixing bowl, add the cooked rice, sundried tomatoes, breadcrumbs, cheese and nuts. Pour over the sausage meat, leeks and mushrooms. Mix together all the ingredients in the bowl.
- Transfer contents of the bowl to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle some extra breadcrumbs and cheese on top.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately